Monday, September 30, 2013
Posted by Debbie Pearl at 7:13 AM
Monday, September 23, 2013
Doing laundry. Then, doing more laundry. Oh, and also ironing. Let's not forget that.
However, in between all my domestic responsibities, I was also able to fit in one of the many tasks on my never ending to do list. I was able to finish lining the drawers of a furntiture piece I recently completed. Yay! Ok, this was not really an exciting task, but I got it done.
A couple of weeks ago, I finished a dresser/buffet in a finish I call Two-Toned Glam. The piece came out beautifully in the end, but it had given me little fits here and there. Just little things. For intstance, I talked in an earlier post about having to deal with water marks that had popped up.
Another minor, but nevertheless so very annoying, problem with this piece was a drawer which had a stain. From time to time, I will have a great piece to refinish that may have stains or marks inside the drawers. And, because most of my pieces I sell at my Etsy shop, I want to be sure they go to my customers in good shape. Sometimes, I can clean away marks. Other times, I may need to sand them away. On this piece, however, the stain was too deep and superficial sanding would not work.
So, my favorite, and by far the easiest, fix for imperfect drawers is lining them with adhesive cork.
This brand I purchase right at Home Depot.
It gives a clean and natural look and for drawers that could see a lot of wear, it is very durable. It also "naturally resists mold and mildew, as well as, cushions and protects"...that there is right off the label!
First, I measure the length and width of the drawer. Oh, and take out the drawer to make it easier...which I, of course, did not yet do in this picture.
Thursday, September 19, 2013
Monday, September 16, 2013
And then, when I think of something else, I must do that as well.
That leaves me doing a lot of different things and sometimes at the same time.
But...this is what I end up with.
I had to come up with some ways to preserve my chalk paint.
Tuesday, September 10, 2013
Wednesday, September 4, 2013
For the past couple weeks, I have been having some changes made to my website and blog, so, I really didn't want to post much. I sort of figured, why have anyone drop by and visit when things were not "all fixed up"? Right?
Well this week all the changes should be in place and with the kids back to school, I am ready to get posting.
Now, with all this time I have now that the kids are back in school, I still manage to fall behind here and there, because furniture rehab is just not a perfect science. For instance, I have been trying to finish a small buffet in a Duck Egg Blue distressed with gold beneath. And this baby has been giving me little fits.
The first problem was this. (Oh, yeah. I'll let you here about the other problems in upcoming posts) After finishing my first coat of Duck Egg Blue, some ugly water marks popped up!
- Spray surface with an even coat of of zinsser shellac.
- Wait 5 or more minutes and spray with a second even coat of zinger shellac.
- After only 10 minutes, surface with marks can be painted.