Friday, April 12, 2013

Cleaning Therapy




Today I needed some cleaning therapy. And I don't call it therapy often. But today, I found myself with some ever elusive time on my hands. Combine that with a perfectly gray rainy day and a heavy heart, and I was ready to clean. I needed to clean because I needed to clear my thoughts just as much as I needed to clear the kitchen counters.

I have two sons that I am absolutely smitten with. I mean I adore them in an "I can't stop staring at you both and I want to follow you around to protect you from everything in life but that would be creepy so I don't" kinda way. My oldest son is in high school. He is a varsity athlete and for the first time ever, he got benched. It is breaking my heart. He is an amazing athlete, an outstanding student, and a kind and sweet soul all rolled up into a handsome disheveled boy/man work of perfection. But what I know won't make it better. This is life in sports and he plays sports in one of the best schools and in one of the most competitive states in the country. So that's fine, he can take it, I can take it. He will only get stronger from this.

So, with the hum of the washer going and the repetition of wiping and dusting, I don't dwell quite so much on what I can't change. I have faith, like a mustard seed, in the paths my children will take and at least, I can give them what I can. A comforting and (sometimes) clean home for them to come home to.



7 comments:

Nicole Nenninger said...

High school? You don't look old enough to have a high schooler! :) I think one of the hardest things for me is wanting to swoop in and rescue my kids when they feel disappointment about something, but restraining myself from doing it. We try to teach them to always put in their best effort with a good attitude. That's all you can do. If you don't make the team, get a "B," etc--did you do your best? Sometimes we'll ask them--if it means a lot to them, do you need a tutor, practice more?--and even though I'm tempted to call a coach/teacher--I don't get involved in that way. It's easy to "put on" my kids what I'd like them to accomplish, but it's harder to step back and let them blossom in their own way.

Ugochi said...

Mothers are often great encouragers. I try to encourage my boys too when the do not achieve what they hoped and then I pray for them to receive motivation to try again.
Visiting from SITS, congrats on your feature day!

Michelle Nahom said...

I get it. I have two in high school and both of them have had disappointments in athletics that I wish had not happened. But I think in the end, it makes them stronger. But that "mama bear" in me wishes I could save them from it.

Seana Turner said...

I do the same thing, only with organizing therapy. When I get stressed, I start dumping out closets. And I'm an organizer, so there really isn't much space left to clean out! But it is soothing nonetheless. Nothing like worrying over adult children to stress us out, right? Happy SITS day!

Kimberly H. Smith said...

I know about mustard seed faith. It's brought me through some hard times. I clean when I'm upset too and it does help. Enjoy your SITS Day, Debbie!

Mrsteeh said...

What an amazingly straight forward and still great post! I too use cleaning as a type of therapy at times. You're right when you say the repetitiveness of what you're doing can at times help bring peace to what may have been a hard week or day. I would have never imagined you had a son in High School, my Teenager is in Marching band and the few times they have lost or done 'bad' to his standards I have felt it too. I know your seed faith will carry you both through!

Suzi said...

Visiting from SITS. Sounds like you are an amazing mom doing amazing things with your boys. Parenting is the hardest thing I have ever done and I can only hope that I am giving my boys what they need to be successful, loving, nurturing men.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...