Thursday, August 30, 2012

T-Shirt Art



As any mother of a rough and tumble sport playing kid knows, there simply are things you can have too many of.....things like t-shirts and trophies.

In my home, my sons' drawers choke on an overflow of t-shirts and every piece of real estate on a their shelves has been claimed by dust laden trophies yielding lacrosse players holding broken sticks. I have tried to convince my boys to part with their prized mementos of youth sports.  I have had only limited success.

These testaments to their heroics cannot be parted with, so they tell me. My only recourse has been to "relocate" some of the items. Trophies have found their home in a box in the basement. T-shirts have moved to an overflowing bin, hidden in the recesses of their closets.

Although the t-shirts are many sizes too small for either boy, they tell me they cannot part with them. So the "t-shirts are too small for me but I want them anyway" have remained hidden...yet, they occupy precious closet space.

I have secretly toyed with idea of making them "disappear, hedging my odds that they would not notice for years. But I worry. Imagine the trauma I could possibly cause them if they were to find their beloved 2005 stained Beach Lax t-shirt was forever gone? So they remain. Bins of trophies and t-shirts slowly multiplying.

Finally I realized, I could do better. It was time I honor the t-shirts. I believe that any object that holds good memories should be in your life daily. So here's a simple and inexpensive project to repurpose your children's beloved t-shirts.

Supplies:

A variety of canvas boards purchased on sale, preferably, of course :)


A selection of those old t-shirts.
Select a t-shirt and center over canvas.

Carefully reverse t-shirt and cut to fit, leaving an inch or two boarder to staple to canvas.

Staple away....

Before


After

25 comments:

jDb said...

I love this! I wonder though about dust and dirt. Any ideas on how to keep them from getting completely grungy?

Brittany said...

This is such a great idea! I worked at a movie theater a while back and saved all my movie work shirts in hope to find something to do with all of them. I wanted to make a quilt, but I know I probably never will, lol. This is perfect!! Thanks for sharing, I can't wait to try this out!!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

this is so fun and so perfect for a boy's room!

Leanne Leeper said...

This is a fabulous idea, that I know will come in handy in this house someday soon!

Building Moxie said...

If only I had tee shirts that were in that good a shape. Love this idea and really rocks this space. cheers Debbie.


Jocie@TheBetterHalf said...

oh wow, i love this idea! super cute and meaningful!

Our Pinteresting Family said...

Such a fun idea! It looks perfect in the space too. :)

Sheena Tomlinson said...

To cute i love this idea, what a fun way to make a inexpensive piece for a room! Thank you for sharing...Just started following you via Google +, Google friend connect, Facebook and pinterest
Sheena @ http://thekeeperofcheerios.blogspot.com/

Angela Gilmore said...

I love this idea! I have so many tees that I just don't want to get rid of, but I will never wear them again (mostly Pearl Jam shirts) and this is the perfect way to preserve them!
Thanks for sharing and Happy SITS day!

Bev Feldman said...

I have all these old t-shirts that I want to keep for sentimental reasons and have never been able to figure out what to do with them. I had considered making them into a quilt, but I like this idea much better!

Erica Buteau said...

THIS is awesome! I'm going to do this with my little guy for his room. He grows out of his character shirts so quickly that he barely gets enough time to enjoy them. Now, he can enjoy them for as long as he wants- and when he doesn't like them anymore we should be able to change them out! Happy SITS Day!!

misssrobin said...

Brilliant idea! I'm going to give this one a try.

Ashley Dunlop said...

Such a great idea! I have some tshirts that I can deff do this with! I Happy SITS day! Thanks!

another jennifer said...

Genius! I love this idea. So simple too.

And I just happen to have a ton of old t-shirts I couldn't part with either. :)

Happy SITS Day!

AprilG said...

What a cool way to keep treasured shirts. I have a couple of tshirts that I've had for years that I could do this to.

Rabia Lieber said...

This is such a cute idea!! I've been saving shirts to make a quilt, but I'll bet some of the more recent favorites would make good decorations!
Also, if you hemmed the edges, there no reason you couldn't take them off the canvas and wash them on occasion if they got really dusty.

Martha Woods said...

This is exactly the tutorial I needed--I have a stack of old t-shirts taking up space that need a project to turn them into something lovely! Thanks for sharing!

Happy SITS day, too! Enjoy!

Alisha Lambert said...

What a great idea! I would've never thought of this.

Lauren Lomsdalen said...

What a cool idea!

Tami said...

This is an awesome idea! Your creativity is inspiring. :)

Bonnie Wallace said...

What a great idea! That would be great for a "man cave" to get rid of the hubby's old ripped up shirts he won't get rid of, lol. Happy SITS day!

Laura Martin said...

Love this! My mom used all of my t-shirts (there were lots of them) and made both a t-shirt quilt and a t-shirt blanket. Great keepsakes.

Suzi said...

Visiting from SITS. What an amazing idea. I have been saving special shirts my boys have to make a quilt.

John King said...

Good Idea
compris.us
concordan.us
conduc.us
copiou.us
cosil.us
credenc.us
credulou.us
cresse.us
decre.us
defecat.us
deferenc.us

Luke Forsyth said...

I want to give a personalized gift likeTshirt for my loved one. I wanted it to be artistic and very colorful.
T Shirt Art

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...